My Love for Fantasy and Beyond

Dragons, elves, orcs, dwarves and humans...Well, that's the image one normally conjures up whenever one pictures a fantasy novel. That is far from the truth, however. Fantasy books don't just have these elements; they take you on a journey you're not likely to forget-transporting you into a world so different from yours and yet, within yours. My association with this dream-world started long before Tolkien and Harry Potter burst into prominence. In fact it was in class 10, when my school librarian Mr. Strange (yup, that is his name) handed me a copy of the prequel to Tolkien's literary masterpiece The Lord of the Rings-The Hobbit. Yes, the language was difficult to grasp initially but slowly I was hooked onto it. While other kids my age were harboring dreams of becoming the next Sachin or the next Einstein, I was busy fighting battles, traveling across war-ravaged lands on dragons and having meals with hobbits and elves.
I then moved on to the Lord of the Rings and before long all that I thought about was about the Dark Lord who resided in Mordor and how to bring about his destruction. If only I could have that Ring of Power.


Seven rings for the elven kings under the sky,


Nine for the dwarf lords in their halls of stone,


Eleven rings for mortal men doomed to die

In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie.

One ring to rule them all, one ring to bring them all

And in the darkness bind them

In the land of Mordor where the shadows lie.


Soon I was devouring books by Terry Brooks and drinking and sleeping Terry Pratchett. And then along came Christopher Paolini in the summer of 2004 with his debut novel- Eragon (many of you might have seen the movie which unfortunately made mincemeat of the book).Here was a young boy of just 18 who had written what can only be called a creation of genius. And this set me thinking. Could I, too, try my hand at this stuff?? Well, no harm in trying and hence, I sat down with paper and pen to try and pen my 1st novel (or rather an attempt at writing something worthwhile). For days, no idea of a plot struck me and I became increasingly frustrated and then suddenly, out of the blue, a plot came into my mind. I began working feverishly on it. Days blended into night and I kept penning my thoughts onto paper (to this day, my parents think I was studying for my 3rd yr exams!!).
Well 3 months later and I was ready with my manuscript. To this day, that's my greatest achievement. I don't think anyone of you can understand the elation I felt when I wrote that final page and declared my book complete. So I got in touch with a friend whose dad was into this publishing business and he agreed to read my novel and decide whether it was ok or rubbish (those were his exact words). Another 3 weeks wait and he finally decided that it was worse than rubbish!!! However that didn't deter me one bit and I continued to try and improve the storyline. But me being the lazy ass that I am, that unedited book is now lying in one dark corner of my home where only spiders and lizards can lay their hands on. However, I am writing a little extract from that book for you people to decide whether I should continue or totally give up that hobby. So you be the judge and decide -:

The fast fading sunlight silhouetted the three riders standing on the tallest cliff of the Silligan Mountains. Below them lay the vast expanse of the Alluvian Forests and among them, the smouldering ruins of the once mighty Elven city of Ellengard.

The three riders stood with their heads bowed in respect. For a few minutes, none of them spoke until the voice of Armion broke the silence.

"We must not linger here any longer. Our home is no longer a safe haven for us."

"Armion is right. Come Ellena, we need to warn the dwarves as soon as possible. They might still be unaware of the king's treachery," said Dugran in his comforting voice.

"Fullmara will pay for this," hissed Ellena, the anger in her voice unmistakable. "The spirits of the people of Ellengard will not rest until Fullmara's blood stains my arrows."

"May your words be prophetic Ellena," said Armion."But for now, we ride east towards the peaks of Dram."

With these parting words, the three friends climbed onto their horses and rode into the sunset, leaving behind them the trail of betrayel and destruction.

4 Responses to "My Love for Fantasy and Beyond"

Swapnil Says :
August 24, 2008 at 7:48 PM

The small piece from your debut novel is sounds really good. I wonder what the whole story is all about...

Aman Says :
August 26, 2008 at 9:36 AM

thanks man...well story's bit long...mite try and revive it in a few months

Prableen Sethi Says :
September 1, 2008 at 11:02 PM

I think what i read...sounds interesting...is there more to it....

Aman Says :
September 3, 2008 at 1:22 PM

@prableen

umm yup there's actually a whole lot to it but it's lost somewhere rotting in some cupboard...still hoping to revive it though

Post a Comment